AccuSHIFT Setup – QuickBooks
ACCUSHIFT SETUP – QUICKBOOKS:
This guide was written for AccuSHIFT Version 1.76. If you are running an earlier version of AccuSHIFT, you will notice differences in the look of the program as well as the implementation of the software. Also, the QuickBooks images and setup steps were written with QuickBooks Enterprise 07. If you are running a different version of QuickBooks, there will also be slight differences in the look but the setup is not that different.
Installing AccuSHIFT: (top)
To install AccuSHIFT, simply place the AccuSHIFT CD in the CD-ROM drive and follow the prompts. If you’re using just one station for both the AccuSHIFT Management and the AccuSHIFT Time Clock, install both on that machine. If you’re using one computer for Management and other computers for the Time Clock program, install the respective programs on those computers on the network. Next, install the AccuLINK Adapter. You will need to install the AccuLINK adapter where your QuickBooks software is installed. This can be a different computer but needs to reside on the same network as AccuSHIFT.
**The computer with your QuickBooks software will need to remain on and logged into your accounting package with administrative rights at all times that you will be using AccuSHIFT. The adapter can connect to QuickBooks while QuickBooks is closed but it is much more efficient to have QuickBooks running.
*For more information on setting up your network, please refer to the AccuPOS Network Setup Guide.
Setup QuickBooks Adapter: (top)
Once the AccuLINK Adapter is installed, it needs to be configured to integrate with QuickBooks. To setup the adapter:
1. Open the QuickBooks Adapter. There should be a shortcut on the desktop after the adapter was installed.
2. Once open, click on Setup (Figure 1-1). The AccuPOS Retail QuickBooks Adapter Configuration window pops up.
3. Click Path to QB Company. (Figure 1-2)
4. Browse through the network or local computer to select the company file that was setup and hit Select. (Figure 1-3)
5. The path now appears. Select New Site to add that path as the default path to be used by the adapter.
6. Click Save when done. (Figure 1-4)
You will be returned to the Adapter window, which will connect immediately to QuickBooks assuming QuickBooks is open. You will be able to tell it connects by a window that pops up inside QuickBooks itself:
1. The QuickBooks – Application Certificate window pops up.
2. Select the option that says Yes, always; allow access even if QuickBooks is not running. (Figure 1-5)
3. If there is an option to choose a username to log in as, be sure to select the Admin account or an account with full Admin rights. If there is no option, proceed to the next step.
4. Click Continue. (Figure 1-6)
5. Click Done. (Figure 1-7)
Now you have granted the adapter access to QuickBooks. You only have to grant access once. Be aware that downloading updates to QuickBooks may prompt for access again though.
Configure Database and Adapter Paths: (top)
Once the adapter is setup, AccuSHIFT Management must be configured to talk to the adapter as well as the AccuSHIFT database. To set these settings:
- Go to Setup -> Configuration (Figure 2-1). The AccuSHIFT Configuration Setup window appears.
- Set the Browse Database Path to the location of the timeclock.mdb on your network (Figure 2-2). By default, when AccuSHIFT is installed, the database is placed on the local machine at C:\Program Files\Attitude POSitive\TimeClock.mdb.
- Set the Browse Request Folder Path (Figure 2-3). This is the path to the Attitude Positive folder on the computer with the Adapter and QuickBooks installed. If the Adapter and QuickBooks are on the local machine, the default path is C:\Program Files\Attitude POSitive.
- Assign a Site name if you are using multiple company files with your adapter (Figure 2-4). If you’re just using one company file, leave the site name blank.
- Click Save and Exit when finished. (Figure 2-5)
Now that the AccuSHIFT Management program is configured, the Time Clock program must also have a database path set. To set the database path for AccuSHIFT Time Clock:
- Place the cursor in the Scan or enter employee code field. (Figure 2-6)
- Hit Control-Alt-S. The Database Path window will appear. You may also use Alt-Shift-C to bring up the Database Path window.
- Set the database path for the Time Clock software (Figure 2-7). It must be pointed to the same Timeclock.mdb file that the AccuSHIFT Management program is looking at. The path may be on a different computer, as seen in the picture, as long as the AccuSHIFT Management program and the Time Clock programs are looking at the same database on the network.
- Click Save when finished. (Figure 2-8)
Now that AccuSHIFT has been installed, the adapter set up, and all the paths are configured, the software needs to be registered. To register AccuSHIFT:
- Click on Setup -> Registration (Figure 3-1). The registration window appears.
- Enter in the information in all fields except Registration Key and select Register Online (Figure 3-2). Once registered, a message will display to show that the registration was successful.
- Click Close Window once the software is registered. (Figure 3-3)
Create Employees and Payroll Items in QuickBooks: (top)
Now that AccuSHIFT is ready to be used, the employee information needs to be created inside QuickBooks. First, employees must be created inside QuickBooks before AccuSHIFT can be utilized. To create an employee in QuickBooks:
- Go to Employees
-> Employee Center or select the
button (Figure 4-1). The Employee Center loads. Employee Center
- Select New Employee (Figure 4-2). The New Employee window appears.
- Inside the Personal tab under Personal Info, enter in the employee’s information (Figure 4-3).
- Inside the Additional Info tab under Personal Info, enter in the employee’s ID (Figure 4-4). This will be the code that the employee will be using when clocking in and clocking out. Each code MUST be unique; no two employees can have the same ID.
- Under the Payroll and Compensation tab, select the option that says Use time data to create paychecks. (Figure 4-5)
- Assign a Payroll Item to the employee by using the drop down arrow in the Earnings box (Figure 4-6). If there are no payroll items created, select Add New. (Figure 4-7)
- If you chose Add New, the Add new payroll item wizard appears.
- Select the type of Payroll Item, such as Hourly Wages. (Figure 4-8)
- Select the type of Pay, such as Regular Pay. (Figure 4-9)
- Enter the name for the Payroll Item, followed by a pay level number unique to that Payroll Item in brackets (Figure 4-10). For example, one pay level can be named Cashier  and another named Bartender .
- Select the Expense account. (Figure 4-11)
- Select Finish when you are done.
- Give an hourly rate to the Payroll Item that is assigned to the employee. (Figure 4-12)
- Select OK when you are finished creating the employee.
Repeat the necessary steps to enter in all the employees, as well as any Payroll Items. Note that an employee can have multiple Payroll Items assigned if that particular employee has multiple job roles, such as being a bartender on some nights and a server on others. Also, multiple employees can have different hourly rates even if they are using the same Payroll Item. For example, a cook who has been working for 10 years makes more an hour than a cook who just got hired on; the job title is the same but the rate is different.
Import Employees Into AccuSHIFT: (top)
The employees that were created inside QuickBooks need to be imported into AccuSHIFT in order for times to be collected through the Time Clock software. To import the employees from QuickBooks:
- Select Tasks -> Get Employees From Accounting. (Figure 5-1)
- The Import progress bar will appear while the QuickBooks adapter gets the employee list from accounting. (Figure 5-2)
- The adapter will display that the employees were exported. (Figure 5-3)
- Once AccuSHIFT receives the employees, a popup message will appear saying that the Employees Imported (Figure 5-4). Select OK to dismiss the popup.
Now that the employees have been imported, everyone can begin to clock in and out from the Time Clock itself.
View the Employees and Set Pay Types: (top)
Now that the employees are imported into AccuSHIFT, let’s take a look at them. To view the current employees in AccuSHIFT:
- Select Tasks -> View Employees (Figure 6-1). The current list of employees is displayed.
- Select the first employee. You will be taken to the employee’s information.
- Select Pay Types. (Figure 6-2)
- Put a check mark in all the Pay Types that the current employee is to use (Figure 6-3). Press Save when finished. Repeat this process for the remaining employees.
- Note that the employee ID is listed above the employee’s name. (Figure 6-4)
- Note that the different Pay Types for each employee are listed on the right-hand column. (Figure 6-5)
- For each employee, the current amount of hours worked for the current pay period is listed. (Figure 6-6)
*For more information on pay periods, please refer to the AccuSHIFT Operations Guide.
Now, AccuSHIFT is configured to integrate with QuickBooks. Please refer to the Operations Guide for instructions on clocking in and out, and how to send the information into QuickBooks.