Sage 50 Canadian Inventory Setup – STEP 1 – Creating an Item
AccuPOS understands that setting up an inventory list is a very time-consuming task but the good thing is that it only needs to be completely setup once.
Setting up the inventory is very important, both for the accounting side of a business as well as the Point of Sale.
This guide will cover the basics of creating items inside Sage 50 and how the inventory list works with AccuPOS Point of Sale.
For more information on setting up the Sage 50 Company file to communicate with AccuPOS, please refer to the Sage 50 Initial Setup Guide.
One thing to note is that the company type you choose when installing Sage 50 must allow inventoried items.
Table of Contents
Creating an Item
Creating an item inside Sage 50 is a very simple process:
- From the Inventory & Services tab, select Inventory & Services Add Inventory & Services.
The Inventory & Services Ledger appears.
- Select the Type of Item using the radial dial arrow. Typically, an item in Sage 50 to be used at the Point of Sale is an inventory item.
The type is also what AccuPOS will classify the item as (unless custom field TYPE is used, see below).
- AccuPOS does not grab information from all the fields. After selecting the item type, the fields AccuPOS utilizes need to be filled in:
Item Number: Will be the Item Code that will be used at the Point of Sale (unless custom field SKU is used, see below).
The item code length can be a maximum of 20 characters. Any Item code that is longer than 20 characters will not import into AccuPOS.
You can use numbers, letters, or a combination of the two. AccuPOS does not recommend using special characters (#, $, &).
Also, AccuPOS strongly discourages using commas (,) or quotes (“) in any fields inside your inventory list.
If the item is bar-coded: It is recommended that you scan the barcode information into Sage 50 directly.
Simply place the mouse cursor in the Item Number field and scan the item.
Also, make sure you’re using the same scanner as the one that will be used at the Point of Sale.
If the item is not going to be bar-coded: Assign the Item Number now and barcodes can be printed out later using Wasp Labeler.
Keep in mind that the item code still cannot exceed 20 characters in length.
The more characters on the Item Number, the longer the barcode will be once it is printed out. Keep that in mind if the labels are extremely small, such as barcodes for jewelry.
If the item will be assigned to a key:
The Item Number can be a combination of numbers and letters that will later be attached to a button at the Point of Sale.
This is great for a Food Service company.
- Description: The first 25 characters will be printed on the customer’s receipt; the remaining characters will be ignored.
- Regular Sales Price: This will determine the default sales price.
- Tax Information: Will determine if the item is to be taxed at the Point of Sale.
If a nontaxable customer is set at the Point of Sale, the item will not be taxed despite being set as taxable.
The remaining fields do not affect AccuPOS. Please refer to the Sage 50 help file for more information on those fields.