QuickBooks POS Setup Type 4 – Items That Are a Combination of Multiple Items
NOTE: these instructions are only for Premier and Enterprise versions of QuickBooks
- This section is for inventoried items that are grouped together and priced as one, either with a discount or without.
First, go to Lists Item List. The Item List window appears.
- Click on Item New. The New Item window appears.
- Select Group from the Type pull-down on the top left of the menu.
Fill out the Group’s details. This includes the Group Name/Item Number, Spa Gift Basket. Also is its description Spa Gift Basket – 3 items, which will be printed on the customer’s receipt. Please note that only the first 25 characters in this field will be printed on the receipt.
Then, under the Item column in the bottom section, choose the individual items that will make up the group. For this we have selected Alvera Natural Soap, Baby Bee Shampoo, Gentle Breeze Moisturizer and a Medium Gift Basket, all with the default quantity of 1.
If you do not wish to give a discount to the grouped items, click OK, as you are done with setting up this group. Your Gift Basket group will be sold at the Point of Sale at the cumulative price of its individual items, which is $17.46.
If you wish to apply a discount to the group, proceed to the next step.
- The discount applied to any group item in QuickBooks needs to be created as a new Discount in the Type pull-down menu. You can have as many discounts as you need, and you can re-use the same discount for different groups that you create. In our example, we will make an attractive price for your Gift Basket; we will change the price from $17.46 to $14.99.
Create a New Item from the Item List, then select Discount from the Type pull-down.
Figure out how much you would like to discount this group. In the example, our combo meal has a cumulative price of $17.46. As we want to sell the Gift Basket at the price of $14.99, we have a price difference of $2.47, which we would use as the basis for our discount Item Type.
Fill out the Item Name/Number as Discount $2.47. The Description will be what prints on the customer’s receipt. The Amount will the actual discount that QuickBooks deducts, so put in 2.47, and the Account is selected as Beauty & Hygiene. Determine the Group’s Tax Code, then click OK.
- Going back to the Gift Basket Group menu, we need to add our new discount to the Group’s individual items.
Simply click for a new item from the pull-down menu on the bottom left and find your new discount. Click OK when you are done.
Now every time you sell a Spa Gift Basket, this discount will be applied at the Point of Sale, and it will also will show up on your QuickBooks receipts as well.