Sage 50 Canadian Inventory Setup – STEP 3 – UPC, Item Fields & Choices
The UPC/SKU Field
The Custom Field SKU allows the Item Number to be different than the actual barcode on a particular item. This can be useful in such situations as:
- The Item Number is longer than the maximum 20 characters. Because this item is longer than 20 characters, it will not be imported into AccuPOS.
- If the vendor code for ordering is different than the barcode on the item.
It is best to use the vendor code as the Item Name/Number, which can be used for Purchase Orders, and assign the barcode number to the SKU field.
When the item is imported into AccuPOS, the SKU will be taken in, which is what AccuPOS needs since the item is being scanned at the Point of Sale, but the Item Number inside Sage 50 may still be used for Purchase Orders.
It is important to note that SKUs follow the same 20 character limit as do Item Numbers.
If a SKU is longer than 20 characters, it will not be imported into AccuPOS.
The Item Type Field
The type of an item in Sage 50, when created, is limited to very generic names, such as Non-inventory, inventory, and service.
Sometimes, it is required for a more specific TYPE to be assigned to item. The Custom Field TYPE allows for this.
There are many different uses for this custom field:
- Quantity Pricing*: AccuPOS allows the spanning of discount across several different items for a specific period of time. For example, say all Pepsi 1 Liters are 2 for $3. If you buy one Pepsi 1L and 1 Diet Pepsi 1L, the total will be $3. You can assign both those items in Sage 50 the same TYPE and inside AccuPOS Management, a sales price can be created for that type.
- Percentage Discounts*: Just like quantity discounts, AccuPOS allows percentage discounts as well. For example, all Pepsi products are 10% off for a limited time. You can assign all items inside Sage 50 that fit that description with the same TYPE and inside AccuPOS Management, a percentage sales price can be created for that type.
- Follow-on Items*: Automatically apply items to a transaction when a certain item is sold. For example, an item of TYPE DEPOSIT could be attached to a bottled beverage where an environmental deposit is required by law. AccuPOS can automatically add on the deposit whenever the item is old at the Point of Sale.
- Operator Messages*: Based off a specific item TYPE, AccuPOS can display an operator message whenever a particular item is sold. For example, assign all alcohol a specific TYPE so that whenever an alcoholic item is rung in at the Point of Sale, a message will appear for the cashier to check for ID.
- Alternate Taxing*: AccuPOS will allow you to set different tax rates for different items based solely off the item TYPE. For example, all food items are taxed at 6% but all alcohol is taxed at 7%.
- Customized Reports: Using either the built in AccuPOS reports feature or by using a custom report with Crystal Reports and Microsoft Access, item activity can be view based off the item TYPE.
- Food Stamps*: AccuPOS can only accept Food Stamp items based off a user-defined TYPE for all Food Stamp items.
- Remote Printing**: AccuPOS can use the TYPE field to remote print specific items when sold. For example, items of TYPE Food will be remote printed to the kitchen printer while items of TYPE Bar will be remote printed to the service bar printer.
- Scaleable Items: If an item is to be weighed at the Point of Sale, the TYPE assigned to that item must have /# somewhere in the TYPE field. When imported into AccuPOS, it will be read as a scaleable item.
- Non-Discountable Items: If an item is to not be discounted, say a really expensive bottle of wine, than that item must have /d somewhere in the TYPE field. When imported into AccuPOS, it will never be discounted through a percentage discount at the Point of Sale.
It is important to note that item TYPE is case sensitive. A TYPE of Bar and a TYPE BAR are two different types according to AccuPOS.
Take extra care to make sure that when applying a TYPE to an item, the case is the same.
*For more information, please refer to the AccuPOS Management Setup Guide
**For more information, please refer to the AccuPOS Remote Printing Module Setup Guide
Using the AccuPOS Remote Printing Module, choices menus can be set up for specific items to help streamline modifications to orders.
For example, selling a steak and choosing the option of the desired cooking temperature for that steak greatly increases efficiency between the kitchen and the servers.
Filling in the Choices Custom Field option determines what Choice Menu will be displayed when a particular item is rung in at the Point of Sale.
For more information on setting up Choice Menus please refer to the Choice Menu Setup Guide.