Tendering Codes Overview
Tendering Codes are how you are taking payments at the Point of Sale. They can range from cash to checks to store credit. They are also extremely important because they determine what accounts your sales information is sent into whenever a z-out is performed.
The initial setup guides for the accounting software touches base on the basic tendering codes and how they attach to the accounting software but AccuPOS allows the use of other types of tendering, such as Accounting Receivable, Payments on Account, Store Credit, Gift Certificates, and Food Stamps. The basic setup of a tendering code is very simple:
- Go to Manage Tendering Codes.
- The Tendering Setup window appears.
- The Add New Tender button on the top right adds a new tender. Here’s an overview of the various sections that we will go over in the next few pages.
What will print on receipt
General Ledger Account: the account in accounting where all sales for that tendering code will be transferred into.
Types of Payment: choose one from the dropdown menu:
Cash – the types of payment that get processed as cash, but are not actuall bills and change (checks, traveller’s cheques, etc).
Primary Cash – the actual bills and change that are used in the transactions.
Credit Card (without capture) – used in case you are using stand-alone credit card equipment. If you do use stand-alone credit
card processing, make sure that the payment is approved before applying this as the tender type at the Point of Sale.
Credit Card (auto capture) – when using credit card system that is attached to the AccuPOS system.
Accounts Receivable – for your customers that pay on account, or on a ‘tab’.
Gift Cards – also known as Gift Certificates
Debit Card (auto capture)
Payment on Account – used when the customer wants to pay on their Accounts Receivable bill.
EBT Food Stamps – or "Electronic Benefit Transfer", used for the purchased of approved food items.
EBT Cash – a payment method attached to a Social Security account, for purchasing any kind of item, not just food.
Room Charge – reserved for integration in hotel systems.
Maximum Change Allowed sets the limit on the amount of change that can be given back to the customer when that tendering code is used.
Open Cash Drawer: checkbox will open the cash drawer upon payment. Uncheck this box if you are using a Gift Card, for example.
Credit Card Type: choose between None (blank, for non-credit card transactions), American Express, Discover, Mastercard or Visa.
Merchant Number and Merchant Password are only available for Credit Card (auto capture), Gift Cards, Debit Card (auto capture), EBT Food Stamps and EBT Cash. These are PC Charge-specific codes that require PC Charge to be set up for merchant processing. For more information on setting up PC Charge, please refer to the PC Charge Setup Guide.
- The Add Tender button (on the right column) finishes the adding tender process.
- The new tender will then appear in the List of Current Tender Types field on the top left. Add as many new tender types as your company needs.
- To edit a tender type, simply select it on the List of Current Tender Types, edit the information and click the Update Tender button.
- To delete a tender type, select it on the List of Current Tender Types and click the Remove button on the right. You will be promted to confirm the removal.
Also, if you make changes to the tenders without clicking the Update Tender button, you will be prompted to save or discard the changes when exiting the window.
- The specifics of creating some tender types are explained in the next few pages:
Accounts Receivable Tendering Code
Creating a Payment on Account Code
Creating a Debit Card Tendering Code
Creating a Gift Card Tendering Code
Creating an EBT / Food Stamp Tendering Code
Creating a Store Credit Tendering Code